LIA - Inspection & Certifications of Pressure Vessels & Boilers.
LIA is as an authorized inspection body and an independent third party inspection and certification agency for pressure vessels and boilers under local government and jurisdiction approvals in the states/countries and to operate globally . We can support you in gaining certification for your pressure vessel equipment and boilers according to the ASME Pressure Vessel Code & Boilers (PSSRs ) by our LIA ASME qualified Engineers & LIA-CA & LIA-EA members world wide .
Pressure Vessel Inspections - ASME Code Section VIII :
This article provides you information about the inspection of pressure vessels and pressure vessel tests in a manufacturing shop.
· Inspection and Testing During the Manufacturing Phase
· Inspection and Testing During the Operation Phase
· Pressure Vessel Codes and Regulations
· Maintenance and Repairs
This Pressure vessel inspections article are useful for :
· Manufacturer's Quality Control personnel,
· Second and Third Party Inspectors,
· Plant Inspectors,
· HSE Engineers,
· Integrity Engineers,
· Operation and Maintenance Engineers &
· Other Interested Individuals.
Pressure Vessels Inspections & Survey and Standards:
Based on the ASME Code Section VIII, pressure vessels are containers for the containment of pressure, either internal or external.
This pressure may be obtained from an external source, or by the application of heat from a direct or indirect source, or any combination thereof.
Selection of Pressure Vessel Plate Material :
· You have to be careful when choosing Pressure Vessel Plate Materials; there are lots of requirements and specific prohibitions in the ASME code.
· Some of these requirements are ASME and Non ASME plate material, plate specification, inspection requirement and material test report.
· ASME Code Sec VIII DIV 1 requires that materials that used for pressure containing parts are one of the materials specified in ASME Section II, but with some restrictions which are stated in ASME Code Sec VIII , Div 1 .
ASME Code Section VIII ( Section 8 )
ASME Code Section VIII is the construction code for Pressure Vessels.
This Code section addresses mandatory requirements, specific prohibitions, and non-mandatory guidance for pressure vessel materials, design, fabrication, examination, inspection, testing, certification, and pressure relief.
ASME Code Section VIII has three divisions :
· Division 1 covers pressure up to 3,000 PSI
· Division 2 has an alternative rule and covers up to 10,000 PSI
· Division 3 can be used for pressure higher than 10,000 psi.
For Quote & Contact Details :
All Rights Owned by Lloyds Inspection Agency . Pvt.Ltd subjected to Terms & Conditions.
All Certificates for Pressure Vessels issued by Lloyds Inspection Agency with a ID No & Traceable .
PRESSURE VESSELS & BOILERS - ARTICLE BY LIA :
Pressure vessels and Boilers are used all over the world in different industries including oil and gas and energy industries. In order to ensure safety and operational efficiency of pressure vessel equipment, certain regulations and codes have been developed, some of which require independent inspection and certification to achieve compliance.
Benefits of LIA - Pressure Vessels & Boiler Inspection Services :
· Qualified experts with extensive experience in certifying pressure equipment and related components.
· Assistance in preparing your products for exporting abroad.
· Global customer service with quick response times for all needs.
LIA Audits & Inspections - Pressure Vessels & Boilers.
Preparations of the QA/QC Manuals - Verified and documented.
Preparations of the applicable stds - Verified and documented.
Qualifications of QA/QC Personnels - Verified and documented.
Preparation of a representative component - Verified and documented.
Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) - Verified and documented.
Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) - Verified and documented.
Welding personnels - Tests Qualifications(WPQ /WOPQ) - Verified and documented.
Preparation of the drawing and the design calculation - Verified and documented.
Preparation of work procedures - Verified and documented.
Material specifications / selection/ procurement / purchasing - Verified and documented.
Qualification of Engineers /NDE personnel /Supervisors - Verified and documented.
Preparation of Quality Plan & Tests (Fabrication/Testing/Inspection Sequence Plan)
Preparation of the Manufactures Test Certificates (MTC) - Verified and documented.
Declaration of Conformity by the Manufacturer ( DOC ) - Verified and documented.
LIA – TPI Inspection of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger.
For A shell and tube heat exchanger , any Third Party Inspection Agency cannot do the inspection, and an authorized third party ASME – PSSRs Level Inspector / inspection personnel from the Government Approved Third Party Inspection Agency needs to be hired.
LIA SCOPE OF INSPECTION & WORK :
All shell and tube heat exchanger inspection and testing is done against :
· The Approved Drawings,
· Purchase order specifications & Requirements ( Who is the Purchaser ),
· Manufacturer or / Supplier Company standards & QA/QC Reports.
· Code of Practices and Local Rules of the country & International Stds & Regulations as may apply.
The applicable codes and specifications for a shell and tube heat exchanger that is under the construction process is:
· Design code
· Purchase order specification
· Purchaser's standards
· Approved drawings
And the applicable codes and standard are:
· ASME VIII Division 1 or 2
· ASME V
· ASME IX
LIA – Required Documents for Third Party Inspection ( TPI ) - Review & Verifications :
The list of documents normally is agreed upon in the Pre-Inspection meeting, which is held several weeks before the actual commencement of the inspection work.
The parties that participate in this meeting are the :
· Purchaser &
· Third party inspection agency representatives.
The list of documents which are normally agreed to be presented to the inspector:
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Manufacture Quality Control Plan.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Inspection and Test Plan.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Data Sheet.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Approved Drawings.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Strength Calculation Sheets.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Material Test Reports.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Welding Specification Procedures (WPS) & (PQR).
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Welding Map.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Welders Qualifications Reports.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger NDE Personnel qualifications Reports.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Heat Treatment Procedure.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Calibration Certificates for Test Equipment.
· Hydrostatic Testing Procedure and Water Quality Document.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Preparation and Painting Procedure.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Preservation, Packing and Shipping Procedure.
· Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Packing List
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Material Inspection
If the purchaser order has mandated the Material Test Reports (MTR ) to be provided for all components, such as
· Nozzle pipes,
· Fittings & Accessories etc.,
Then the manufacturer needs to provide them as well.
As mentioned above, the original or authenticated copies of mill certificates for plates normally are available at the manufacturer's premises.
The Third Party Inspector from Lloyds Inspection Agency examines these certificates for compliance with specifications, and where appropriate, drawings.
The review includes checks on:
· Certificate No.
· Heat or cast No.
· Chemical composition.
· Mechanical properties.
· Heat treated condition.
· NDE applied and results.
The LIA – TPI inspector will witnesses the plate material identification on the certificates against the plate marking. It is also necessary to check the identification with the shell and tube heat exchanger drawing datasheet, material list and other specifications as appropriate.
When the third party inspector carries out the material inspection, then provides the Inspection Visit Report (IVR), the report contains the following items:
· Confirmation of satisfactory document review
· Record of the endorsement of certification reviewed/witnessed
· Record of all non-conformities
· Record of any tests witnessed and the result
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Visual and Dimensional Inspection of Tubes, Tube Bundle and Shell
The third party inspector carries out following controls:
- Tubes after bending for thinning particularly on the back of bends.
- Tube sheet and baffle plate, including tube hole, heads, flanges, tubes, flange facing finish.
- Channel, shell, floating head, cover, tube bundle assembly.
- Template check of shell is performed in accordance with the applicable specifications as required. Size and construction of template are to be checked, and the template pass smoothly, without binding through the full length of the shell.
- Direction and orientation of nozzle, impingement baffles, lugs and external, internal fittings are checked.
- Out of roundness, diameters, length, wall thickness, straightness of shell are checked.
- Expansion ratio of tube ends is checked. Tubes to be checked for thinning after expansion.
- U-tubes are formed from a single length having no circumferential welds, and flattening need not exceed 10% of the nominal OD of tube.
- Tube sheet flatness on gasket contact surface is checked as required.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger Hydrostatic Testing:
The third party inspector controls the following items for Hydro-static Testing:
- Calibration status and correct working ranges of gauges. A minimum of 2 pressure gauges are attached to item under test.
- Adequate provision for venting of high points and draining are provided.
- Test pressure is applied as directed by procedure or code until test limiting pressure is reached. During hold period, a methodical check for leaks is conducted.
- Test pressures, metal and water temperatures are recorded.
- Water quality is as specified.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Final Inspection
After hydro-static testing, the vessel is thoroughly drained and dried out by approved methods. All internal fittings, attachments, coatings or other requirements need to be completed.
The specified post hydrostatic test NDE needs to be completed and the vessel closed.
All shell and tube heat exchangers are checked for cleanliness and dryness by an approved method.
The third party inspector rechecks the nozzle, saddle and bracket locations and orientations against the assembly drawings.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Name Plate Checking
The content of the marking is checked in accordance with approved drawing and specifications by the third party inspector. Name plate need to be mounted on bracket welded to shell at the height specified.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Painting and Coating
Surface preparation for painting is checked for the following points, according to specification by the third party inspector:
· Cleaning method (Blast or scraping and wire brushing)
· Preparation grades
· Freedom from weld spatter, blow-holes and other defects
· Dry film thickness is checked according to specification
Surface condition needs to be free from pin-holes, runs damage and other discontinuity.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Spares and Accessories
The third party inspector controls spares, tools and accessories and makes visual and dimensional inspection for materials, workmanship and quantity according to the purchase order specification and packing list.
The marking and/or tag is checked for identification.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger - Reporting
The third party inspector provides an Inspection Visit Report (IVR) after each visit, as well as a final report summarizing the activities carried out during the shell and tube heat exchanger production in accordance with the contract requirements and circulated within the time limits specified in the contract.
The report is in the format required by the client and clearly indicates final acceptance or rejection of the shell and tube heat exchanger.
Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger – TPI Release Note / Issue of Certificates from Lloyds Inspection Agency.
After successful completion of inspections and audits when the shell and tube heat exchangers have been accepted, LlA will issue TPI Certificate /Reports / Release to the manufacturer /supplier or the party engaged LIA for third party inspection service.
Third Party Inspection for Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger
The following final documents are reviewed and signed off by the third party inspector:
· All Required drawings
· Manufacturer's data reports,
· Material Test certificate or
· Certified Mill Test Reports for all Pressure parts,
· Material list & Specifications,
· Welder Qualification Records ,
· Heat treatment records (Temperature-time record chart during PWHT)
· Dimensional record, NDE records.
· Production test record/mock test record,
· Alloy verification records, (if required),
· Hydrostatic test record,
· Pneumatic test record,
· Hardness test record,
· Post weld heat treatment NDE, if specified,
· Name plate or other marks,
· Packing list ,
· Spare parts and Tool Lists
For Quote & Contact Details :
All Rights Owned by Lloyds Inspection Agency . Pvt.Ltd subjected to Terms & Conditions.
All Certificates/Reports/Release Notes issued by Lloyds Inspection Agency with a ID No & Traceable .